Wednesday, April 28, 2010

We Will Prevail

I let the day pass without fanfare or almost anything else. A bit over 3 years ago, Virginia Tech hosted the deadliest school shooting ever.


Since the 16th, I’ve been thinking about the past a lot. So much of what I feel and remember defies description. I’m horrified by the toll extracted from the VT community. I’m depressed that there are 33 fewer Hokies on the planet. I’m humbled that 32 of them died bravely, if senselessly. I’m touched that Hokies the world over--and our peers--have bonded so strongly in support. I’m honored to be a part of the tradition.


Despite the uncounted hours I spent roaming the memorials, I only have 37 pictures to share. Thirty-seven glimpses into a community’s mourning. Thirty-seven chances to try and capture the tremendous love and support I felt. Thirty-seven memories.


I share them today because it’s time. For three years, I’ve held on to many of these to sit on one hard drive or another, collecting digital dust. This is my scrapbook. These are my memories.


Hokies Mourn

1 comment:

John Ramsey Miller said...

We parents and non-parents all grieve for the loss of those kids and we out here on the blue outside also grieve the loss of innocence and security all of you kids have suffered so needlessly and suddenly. God bless you, Chris, and all of our hearts are with you. They will never be replaced, but may God hold them in His sheltering arms forever. Bless you, Chris and thank you for sharing.