Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Allons-y!

This has been a busy few months for me and fanboyism! I don't usually consider myself susceptible to the unfortunate "Fanboy" disease--the condition most noted by a borderline-obsessive attention to detail, desire to consume, and nigh-insuppressible need to discuss something. Most often, one is a fanboy (or girl, I suppose, but they're probably better at hiding it) of something not mainstream. Otherwise, we'd call these people "fans."

Mass Effect 2 and Avatar are probably the most obvious examples of my disorder. There was a brief stint for Modern Warfare 2, but that passed quickly. The latest addition to this list is Doctor Who. Who? Yes. No, who? Don't worry; it's still on. No, WHO? OH! It's a British TV show that makes me wish more of their writers would emigrate.

The show Doctor Who is about a Time Lord named The Doctor (just The Doctor) who saves planets and stuff. And time. Okay, it's a tough pitch, but it's been on TV since Charlemagne or something. I don't know how this stuff comes to my attention, but I love the show. It's silly and confusing and warm and sweet and violent and brave and fun.

Series 3 and 4 are especially strong with "Blink" as perhaps the best episode. I just finished watching the tenth Doctor's finale and I had a bleary few moments. No American production of this would carry. There's so much love for the show in the UK that the scripts feel like a series of inside jokes and references that I'd completely get if I were a real friend. I don't mind that though, because it's fine just to be part of the picture.

I really like the show.

Just so the post makes sense though, I was cruising through the Interwebs earlier and saw a 4-port USB 2.0 hub shaped like the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space...The Doctor's time-traveling police box) and a Sonic Screwdriver (that's a driver that screws sonically...that sounds a bit raunchy). Anyway, they were both sold out. Because of fanboys. Don't worry, I'll get an email when they're in stock again.

No comments: